Not So Matzo Ball Soup with Large Potato Dumplings
✔️1 box of Potato Dumplings (thawed) you may want to boxes for leftovers ☺️
✔️4 to 6 bone in chicken thighs
✔️3 carrots rough chopped
✔️3 celery stems rough chopped
✔️3 tablespoons of chicken bouillon or chicken broth concentrate (you can also sub 3, 32 ounce cartons of broth for the water/bouillon)
*this recipe was made in the instant pot but can be made in the crock pot and finished on the stove
• add the carrots (reserved diced carrots) celery, onions and chicken to the instant pot, season with the bouillon and add the water. Set the instant pot to manual, high, 240 minutes. If using a crock pot you can put all this in the crock pot for 8 hours on low.
• when the instant pot timer goes off, let it naturally release for 30 minutes
• strain the broth from the veggies and chicken and reserve the broth and let the chicken cool
• remove the chicken from the bone and add the broth and chicken back to the instant pot. (If you used a crock, do these steps on the stove) bring to a simmer, add the carrots, simmer for 15 minutes *discard the other veggies
• let the potato dumplings sit out for 15 minutes to rise a bit then add to the simmer stock and simmer for 15 minutes
• serve bowls with broth and one dumpling per person, top with lots of fresh parsley
This recipe make a rich broth with lots of good for you things like collagen. If you like a lighter broth you can sub breasts for the thighs. You can also make the broth a day or two in advance, chill in fridge and skim the excess fat off the top.